Renowned artist, researcher and educator Zach Lieberman explores the poetry within computation and pushes the boundaries of creative coding as an expressive medium. Future Sketches / Code Poems explores how technology can transform the human body, voice, and gesture in expressive and imaginative ways, serving as a love letter to the fields of animation, interaction and computation.
Drawing from over a decade of work and research in media art, this exhibition marks the next chapter in Lieberman’s journey and builds upon the success of his inaugural solo exhibition at ARTECHOUSE DC in 2020. Discover an experience that savors every line of code as a stanza in a poem.
“When I create work, I don’t want people to point at it and say, ‘that’s amazing software.’ I want them to say, ‘that’s a beautiful idea, that helped me see in a new way, or that made my day better.’” Artist, Zach Lieberman
Lieberman’s students from the MIT Media Lab will contribute their work to the showcase, celebrating the next generation of creative coders.
- Daily Sketches: Get a glimpse inside Lieberman’s daily sketches that explore the possibilities of creative coding, graphical form and animation.
- Manual Input Sessions: Engage with audio-to-visual expression in a playful and hands-on way
- Re-Coded: Get hands on and see the cause and effect relationship between coding and visual expression.
- Expression Mirror: An immersive experience where visitors can see their own emotions through others.
- Reflection Studies: Explore principles of light like reflection and refraction.
In a world where commercial forces shape conversations around technology, this exhibition champions the pivotal role of artists and designers in envisioning futures that are both more expressive and playfully creative.